Connect with us

News

Saudi Visas: HAJJ Commission Raps 2,717 Nigerians

Published

on

HAJJ

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria is sending out consolatory messages to 2,717 Nigerians whose intention to perform the Hajj in Saudi Arabia had been scuttled.

The dashing of their hopes followed failure to obtain Saudi visas for them following the closure of the Saudi Visa portal

Regretting the situation in a statement signed by NAHCON’s Assistant Director of Information and Publication, Fatima Usara, on Monday, the commission said this happened despite its efforts.

It said it had pleaded with the Saudi Arabia authorities to open the visa portal even for one hour but that the appeal was ignored.

Advertisement

“Despite concerted efforts to get the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah to consider the re-opening of the visa portal, even for an hour, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) is saddened that this was not achieved.

“Hence, the visa suspension affected 2,717 pilgrims who had late registration from both sides.

“In the light of the above, NAHCON wishes to console those affected by the visa closure to have faith, knowing that Hajj is an answer to Allah’s call.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Islamic Cleric Sheikh Gumi Deported, After Being Barred From Hajj

READ ALSO: 2025 Hajj: ‘Why We Closed Pilgrims Registration Exercise’

“However, it is also advised that all intending pilgrims should always plan ahead for their Hajj ahead of deadlines to avoid disappointments,” the Hajj Commission stated.

“From the beginning of Hajj registration to date, NAHCON facilitated the extension of deadlines four times, beginning with Hajj fare remittance to visa issuance.

“Yet, despite several warnings signalling the end of visa issuance by April 19, 2025, with its attendant consequences, some intending pilgrims came late with their Hajj payments.

Advertisement

“Out of consideration following numerous requests for the Commission to continue accepting Hajj fares, NAHCON formally requested an extension of visa processing, which was graciously approved.

“However, further access to visa issuance was blocked since May 19, 2025,” the Commission stated.

“By the time of visa blockage, 13,217 visas were granted to Tour Operator Companies out of 14,158 registered pilgrims, indicating strong participation from the private Hajj sector. Notwithstanding, NAHCON went further within its legal means to accommodate more pilgrims from licensed operators, further boosting the capacity of the operators”, it stated.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *