Connect with us


Mrs Rose Oruru: Terrible Encounter With Her Daughter’s Kidnappers



,Mrs Rose Oruru, Ese.s mother

There is nothing a mother cannot dare, in the quest to have back her child. So it was with Mrs Rose Oruru, the mother of 13 year old Ese Oruru who had been kidnapped August 12, by one Mohammed Yunusa Dahiru (aka Daidi) from Kano .

She did not limit her desperate efforts in Bayelsa where the incident happened, but journeyed all the way to Kano where her abducted daughter had been taken.

She was accosted by the village chief who informed her that her daughter was in the custody of the Emir. When she arrived there, she was approached by local Muslim youths who callously denied her entrance to the palace. She went back on 17 August, accompanied by an inspector and a police officer from Kwani Police Station.

The police took her into the palace where the Emir of Kano sat in Council. There, she saw her daughter driven into the place in a black Sport utility vehicle (SUV) with two police escort and Dahiru.


From Kwani Police, the case was transferred to the Kano State Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

Mrs. Rose Oruru was told to return to Bayelsa State and report the situation to the Yenagoa CID. Subsequent attempts to secure the release of Oruru proved abortive until 29 February 2016, when it was reported that she had been rescued by police following a massive campaign by Punch newspaper which sparked national outrage.

On 2 March 2016, Oruru and her mother were reunited in Abuja.[7] Upon her arrival to the city, she was five months pregnant with Dahiru’s child.[8]


On 8 March 2016, Dahiru was arraigned in a Federal High Court in Yenagoa on a five-count indictment charging him with abduction, child trafficking, illicit sex, sexual exploitation and unlawful carnal knowledge.

After hearing the charges, Dahiru pleaded not guilty before the court while the case was adjourned to 14 March.

The presiding judge, Justice H.A. Nganjiwa, ruled that Dahiru should be remanded in prison custody until the formal adjourned date.[9][10] On 14 March, counsel for the prosecution, Kenneth Dika served the Federal Court with an application to have Oruru’s testimony heard behind closed doors.


Dika stated that this was because the victim was a minor and deserved the court’s protection.

He also opposed an application for bail made by the defense counsel Kayode Olaoshebikan, arguing that it took the Nigerian police over six months to apprehend Dahiru and that if granted bail, the defendant, who was not resident within the court’s jurisdiction, would most likely abscond. The matter was then adjourned until 21 March, with Dahiru sent back to prison custody.






In the week following the adjournment, the court began hearing on the defendant’s bail plea. Justice H.A. Nganjiwa said Dahiru should be granted a ₦3 million bail with two sureties in like sum.

The sureties must be resident within the jurisdiction of the court while one must be a civil servant of not less than level 12 and the other a renowned title holder. Both must provide 3 years tax clearance certificate, while the public servant must also submit a letter of first appointment and last promotion letter.

The court ordered further remand of Dahiru in prison custody pending when he would fulfil the bail conditions given.


Reacting to the decision, activist Annkio Briggs expressed her dissatisfaction at the performance of the prosecution. She called on the police to “live up to expectation” and bring in more lawyers to strengthen the legal team to prosecute the case.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *